Recently, I read something that made me think about the challenge of winning or in other words, achieving success:
“Do you not know that in a race all the runners run but only one gets the prize”
1 Corinthians 9:24
I really related to this quote and the fact that I just did not want to be involved in running the race, I actually wanted to get the prize when it comes to being successful with my business. I started to think about what winners actually do to win and soon realized that all of these things were applicable to success with my business Sigma Mindset.
If you want to be successful in your career or business, then you need to follow all of the success keys below:
1. Train hard. We must put the effort in. Practice, practice and then practice some more to perfect the skills. I just learnt recently, that it takes 10,000 hours of practice to be truly good at something.
2. Take time to understand and respect your competition. You are not an island. You are actually competing against others for the coverted prize. Study and learn from your opposition. Learn to do things different and better.
3. Never give up. Winston Churchill said it beautifully: “We will never, never, never…………..give up”. The major point is that he said “never” for 30 mins. I think he made his point.
4. Practice discipline and routine. First decide what routine you will need to achieve your dreams. Then of course repeat it – over and over again. It only takes 28 days to establish (or break) a habit, so why not establish great habits that will lead you to exactly where you want to go
5. Focus, Focus, Focus. It is so easy to be distracted by 1000’s of other things in your life. By all means, enjoy life to the best of your ability but discipline yourself that at certain times you will be totally focused on the tasks required to win the prize you are chasing. Without focus you will just spend a lot of time getting nowhere in particular. Ask yourself right now, “What are the top 3 things I want to focus on this year?” Then let nothing distract you
6. Sacrifice. Oops! Not really a well loved term today. We need to sacrifice now so we can enjoy the fruits of the prize later. The athlete who gets up to train at 4 and 5am would probably much rather have a couple of hours extra sleep but when they stand on the podium to win their prize, all the sacrifice is forgotten in the joy of the win. We need to sacrifice of our time, energy and resources.
7. Prioritize. Does anyone else have trouble with this? Sometimes we try so hard to prioritize what we believe to be important but still get it wrong. 5 years, 10, 20 years of hard work goes by and we still are not where we want to be. Stephen Covey tells us we spend 80% of our time working on things that are really only 20% important to us. Get hold of a journal and spend some time deciding on what is important to you and then start to prioritize. You will be amazed at what you can accomplish in a much shorter period of time.
8. Dream. Dreams keep us alive. They get us up in the morning with renewed vitality and motivation to tackle the day with purpose. My husband and I have a dream book. In it we write the things that we want to achieve. Some are small and personal such as dancing lessons, others are large and long term such as a successful business to create passive income. Write everything you have dreamed of – no judgements. It will surprise you what is really in your heart
9. Never lose sight of the goal. This can be difficult when you are seeing few results. Keep coming back to your dream book. Remember why you embarked on this journey.
10. Build a good support team around you. The athlete has the coach and the physio to name just a few. You will need a mentor or coach if your goal is to move forward with your career or business
11. Understand your personal roadblocks, obstacles and weaknesses. They say that 90% of the battle is in the mind. Get the mind in order and you are nearly there.
12. Educate yourself about the process, skills and techniques that you will need on the journey so you will reach your career and business goals
13. Remember to take care of your main tool – yourself. No one else is going to do this and if you burn out or go off the rails then your dreams of winning the prize will never be realized.
If you would like to chat about how I can help you with any of the above, just give me a call on 0430186415 or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Until next time
Life and Leadership Strategic Coach for Executives, Professionals and Business Owners